It was a glorious afternoon here in Scotland. So I made the most of the sun by settling down in the garden with my book and a cat for company, it was great!
I came in at around 6 o'clock and started pondering on what to make for dinner. After a quick browse through the fridge and freezer, I decided to make a veggie shepherd's pie.
Veggie Shepherd's Pie
1 onion, chopped,
1 clove garlic, finely chopped,
1 carrot, chopped,
500g mushrooms, finely chopped,
500g soya mince,
1 pint vegetable stock,
2 tbsp vegetarian worcestershire sauce,
1 tbsp tomato puree,
1 tbsp olive oil,
salt and pepper.
- Fry the onion and garlic in the olive oil for a few minutes, add the carrots and cook until tender.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for another few minutes. Add the soya mince, give it a good mix in and then add the vegetable stock.
- Cook down for 20 minutes and then add the worcestershire sauce and tomato puree.
- Cook for a further 10 minutes and season with salt and pepper. Go easy on the salt as the stock can be quite salty.
- Spoon into an ovenproof dish and top with mashed potato. Brown under the grill.
I priced this shepherd's pie using supermarket ingredients. It costs £1.03 per person when serving 4 people.
1 tbsp olive oil = 5p
1 onion = 10p
1 large carrot = 10p
500g mushrooms = £1.25
500g frozen vegetarian mince = £1.75
2 tbsp veggie Worcestershire Sauce = 24p
1 tbsp tomato puree = 3p
900g potatoes = 60p
Total = £4.12
( 4 servings x £1. 03)