I had a turnip (I should really say neep and not turnip, how very unscottish of me!) to use and thought, what will I do with it?
Turnip and Feta Soup
I red onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 large turnip, chopped
1/2 red chilli, deseed and finely chopped
fresh coriander, chopped
1/2 tbsp olive oil
3 pints vegetable stock
feta cheese for garnish
salt and pepper
- Fry the onion, garlic and chilli in the olive oil until translucent.
- Add the turnip and carrot and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the stock and cook gently for a further 30 minutes.
- Blend the soup and add the coriander, salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with feta cheese.
This soup is earthy, but with a slightly sweet flavour which contrasts beautifully with the salty feta. I didn't have fresh chilli or coriander, so I used dried. I'm sure it would taste much better with fresh chilli and coriander and look prettier too, but it was very tasty!
It was just what I needed as a have a stinking cold just now!
If you want another good soup recipe, head over to The Great Big Vegetable Challenge for their Cress and Potato Soup .