juice of 1/2 lemon
3 tbsp demerara sugar
3 heaped tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
100g plain flour
50g porridge oats (I used a porridge oat mix with raisins)
100g demerara sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
100g unsalted butter
peel from 1 lemon
2 tbsp almonds
- Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Toss the pears in the lemon juice as you chop them, then heat the pears, sugar and spices in a small pan for 3-4 minutes until the pears begin to soften, then set aside.
- For the topping, tip all the dry ingredients together with the butter and rub with your fingers until you have a course crumble mixture.
- Pour the pears into an ovenproof dish and pile on the crumble mix. Sprinle with brown sugar and almonds and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the topping is gorgeously golden brown and crunchy.
- Serve with cold vanilla ice cream or hot creamy custard
This crumble was amazing! I was a bit worried, while it was cooking, that it looked full of juice, but this turned into a beautifully gooey sauce. I also added brown sugar and almonds to the top of the crumble and this was a great success. The sugar turned to toffee and the almonds added a nice crunch.
Here a few other crumble recipes:
Strawberry & Rhubarb Crumble - Tinned Tomatoes
Almond, Greengage & Plum Crumble - Little Bird Eats
Pear & Cranberry Crumble - Closet Cooking
Apple Crisp - Besides Pizza