Earthy Mushroom & Baby Leaf Soup
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
10 large field/portabello mushrooms, chopped
1 beetroot, shredded
2 handfuls baby spinach
1 handful red chard
3 cups vegetable stock
1 tbsp dried chives
1 tbsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried basil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil until the onion has softened and is translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a few more minutes, before adding the beetroot.
- Throw in the leaves and stir. They will begin to wilt immediately.
- Pour in the stock and add the herbs.
- Leave to simmer gently for 20 minutes before seasoning with the salt and pepper.
I used raw beetroot, but the soup would be equally good with cooked beetroot and you could change the leaves and herbs about a bit too.
Now that's done, I think I am going to go and chew on some salad leaves before turning in to bed. My insomnia is just awful just now. You may have noticed I haven't been around much, but I digress, lettuce is supposed to induce sleep. So here goes!