For this salad I went straight to my favourite vegetarian restaurant, which is David Bann's in Edinburgh. I would like you to remember I have a demanding new baby, so when I say went, I meant virtually. I headed straight for their website and I was easily able to choose a salad I loved, to recreate. It is a very simple salad, with good earthy flavours.
Salad of Watercress, Beetroot, and Goats Cheese
½ bag watercress, washed and dabbed dry
4 beetroot, roasted, peeled and sliced
½ cup cashew nuts
Goat's Cheese Toasts
4 slices of crusty bread (I used a white bloomers bread)
olive oil to brush onto the toasted bread
1 clove garlic
4 slices goats cheese
1 tsp pesto
1 tsp white wine vinegar
3 tsp olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
- Wash your beetroot, to remove any of the garden that is still clinging to it.
- Trim down the beetroot, so that there is a little stalk and root left on before wrapping each beetroot in tinfoil. Place on a baking tray and cook in a preheated oven (180c/350f/gas 4) for 1 hour.
- Allow the beetroot to cool in it's foil for 10 minutes or so before peeling the beetroot and slicing.
- If you want a quick alternative, there is no reason not to use the ready cooked beetroot available in vacuum packs in any supermarket, although the roasting does bring a lovely flavour.
- Scatter a handful of watercress on each plate. Top with slices of beetroot and scatter some cashew nuts across the salad.
- Brush the slices of bread with olive oil before toasting lightly. Rub a cut clove of garlic across the surface of each toast, top with a slice of goat's cheese and return to grill, until the cheese is warm, soft and golden. Place a toast on each salad.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients and season, then drizzle across the toasts and salads. Serve while the toasts are still warm.
This makes a great starter and even though it is very simple, the flavours really stand out.
56-58 St. Marys Street
Edinburgh EH1 1SX
0131 556 5888
You still have time to enter.
Just list the name of the restaurant, location and a url (if they have a website), along with a sentence or two talking about the restaurant or your choice of dish, then add your photo, a link to your post and your own location and email it all to me at firstname.lastname@example.org by end of day on the 20th of February 2010, although I won't be posting until Sunday evening, so if you are running late and the post isn't up, then please do send it. We are running on baby-time here.