07 August 2011
I do love picnics. A visit to somewhere beautiful with friends or family, the chance to prepare some yummy dishes to fill the basket and having a good old chinwag while we tuck in. Just fabulous.
Now on to the reality. Scotland. It rains a lot! I do mean a lot.
This Summer has been particularly bad, but I do have to be fair, in between all the rain, we have had some glorious days. So, I am waiting for one of those days for my next picnic.
Here are a few of the dishes I might make for my picnic.
* Baby Egg Pies
* Spinach & Onion Puff Tart
* Curried Vegetable Pasties
* Spicy Tiffin Eggs
* Spinach & Feta Triangles (Spanakopita)
* Carrot & Orange Salad
* Green Bean Salad
* Quinoa, Lentil & Bean Salad
* Double Tomato Pasta Salad
* Raspberry, Carrot & Basil Smoothie
* Peach, Mango & Ginger Smoothie
* Green Apple Fruit Cake
* Cranberry & White Chocolate Cookies
* Chocolate Orange Brownies
Now all I need is a picnic basket. I have always wanted one, but never got around to buying one. Last year I bought an lidded egg basket, with the intention of using it for picnics, but autumn came around and I started using it to store Cooper's bibs in. So, I was absolutely delighted when Interflora got in touch offering me a picnic basket hamper to review.
You might be surprised to hear that Interflora do anything other than Flower Gifts. I had a vague idea that they did other gifts. I remember someone posting about the cutest iced shoe cookies. They actually do a wide range of hampers, some filled with wine, some are full to the brim with sweets, some have cookies or cupcakes or fruit or chocolate..... the list goes on.
The hamper I was lucky enough to be sent was the Luxury Picnic Hamper. It is a rather gorgeous picnic for four. It is lined with some lovely tartan fabric, which I think you will agree is rather apt. It has 4 plates and 4 sets of cutlery and it is filled with goodies:
Zontes Footsteps Viognier 2005 75cl
La Mole Breadsticks with Sesame 120g
Roccas Organic Deli Fine Wafer Crackers 100g
Gold Crown Date and Walnut Cake 350g
Tracklements Onion Marmalade 110g
Essential Dressings Red Pepper & Tomato Dip 300ml
Crandale Wensleydale with Cranberries 150g
Cupido Assorted Pralines 125g
There were a few changes to my basket. I got some smoked applewood cheese instead of Wensleydale, but I love smoked applewood, so I was pleased with that change and the chocolates I recieved were Duc d'O Belgian chocolates, again not complaining.
I have to admit, I have already tucked in. The wine if gone and we have tucked into the smoked applewood and chocolates. My dad went home with the fruit cake, so it is gradually emptying. That is fine though, as I will fill it up with my own goodies for my next picnic.
The exciting news, is that Interflora are giving me another basket (the same one) as a giveaway prize. Tune in next week for the giveaway.
...... and on the picnic theme:
Why not load this free picnic app from Countrylife onto your mobile? It contains interesting picnic locations, recipes and games for the kids, for when they start to get bored.
Fuss Free Flavours
Theme: Nigella recipes suitable for a picnic
Event Start Date: now
Event Deadline: 28 August 2011
I am hugely excited to be hosting this month’s Forever Nigella for my dear friend Sarah at Maison Cupcake. Started in January of this year it has become a hugely popular event attracting entries from all over the world.
This month the theme is picnic pleasures, suitable dishes would be ones that can be packed up, travel well, can be eaten with fingers, or just a fork.
Details can be found here
Little Owl would like to remind you that there are a few things going on at Tinned Tomatoes this month.
1. Win a place on a Green & Black's Workshop. This exciting competition is open to UK residents or those travelling to the UK this year and runs until Sunday 14 August 2011.
2. Give some of those bookmarked recipes, that you keep collecting, an airing and join in with the monthly challenge Bookmarked Recipes. You can post your bookmarked recipes and add them to the linky until Saturday 27 August 2011. The guidelines can be found here.
3. Cook up a soup or salad including lentils for this month's No Croutons Required. You have up until the 20th of August to submit your dishes. Remember they must be suitable for vegetarians.
Visit The Food Blog Diary for all the latest foodie competitions, giveaways and events. The diary is updated regularly as the month goes on.