First the table. I decided to go for tartan as my theme this year and bought a red tartan blanket for a tablecloth. I am using red napkins tied with ribbon and in the middle of the table, I have a clear vase on a woven base holding a white candle and chestnuts. This is surrounded by a wreath, covered in felt hearts and wrapped with twinkly LED blue battery lights, which I got from xmasdirect, who specialise in lovely twinkly lights for all year round. I am quite pleased with the effect and it will be even more lovely on Christmas evening with the candle lit. You will notice the table is only set for three. This is just a trial run. There will actually be six of us on Christmas day. A bit of a squeeze, but great fun.
Giveaway at end of post.
(Update! I added a couple more place settings and used it for dinner tonight. Cooper was unimpressed with all the fripperies and more interested in playing with the pepper grinder, *sigh* Why do I bother?)
Now the food. So, on to the vegetarian Christmas. I haven't settled on the final meal yet, but I thought I would have a search for some inspiration and share it with you. There are a few things I have to think about. No dairy or eggs for Graham, no spice for my dad and no or just a few mushrooms for Lachlan. My mum and I are easier to please and Cooper, well we will have to wait and see. I may have to make more than one version of each meal. Here are some of the dishes that made my mouth water.
|photo: Closet Cooking|
- Black Bean & Sweet Potato Soup with Lime - Kalyn's Kitchen
- Breaded Aubergine and Mozzarella Stack with Marinara Dressing - Amuse Your Bouche
- Courgette & Pesto Parcels - A Wee Bit of Cooking
- Crowdie Stuffed Mushrooms - A Wee Bit of Cooking
- Fig & Gorgonzola Crostini with Honey - Closet Cooking
- Roast Onion Soup with Thai Spices - Please Do Not Feed The Animals
- Tomato & Goats Cheese Tarts - More Than Burnt Toast
- Tortellini Soup The Garden Grazer
- Vegetable Biryani Stuffed Tomatoes and Mushrooms - Farmersgirl Kitchen
- Watercress sorrel velouté - French Foodie Baby
- Balsamic Tomato & Feta Tart - Tinned Tomatoes
- Carmelised Onion and Feta Cheese Tart - A Pot of Tea and a Biscuit
- Celebration Pot Pie with Pumpkin Biscuit Crust - FatFree Vegan Kitchen
- Festive Strudel with Cranberry & Port Sauce - The Vegetarian Experience
- Goats Cheese Galette with Baked Tomatoes & Rosemary - A Tasty Love Story
- Mushroom Nut Roast in Golden Puff Pastry - Lisa's Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Strudel with Balsamic Mushroom Sauce - More Than Burnt Toast
- Vegetable Spiral Arty Tart - Stasty
- Vegetarian Sausage, Mushroom and Stuffing Wellington - Belleau Kitchen
|photo: A Wee Bit of Cooking|
- Blackened Potatoes - Tinned Tomatoes
- Carrot, Courgette & Peanut Butter Stuffed Mushrooms - Tinned Tomatoes
- Cauliflower Mash - Amuse Your Bouche
- Creamed Leeks - Jam and Clotted Cream
- Mushroom & Whisky Gravy - Green Gourmet Giraffe
- Onion & Sundried Tomato Gravy - Green Gourmet Giraffe
- Parmesan Gratin with Gruyere and Thyme - Feasting at Home
- Puy Lentils with Aubergine & Red Onion - A Wee Bit of Cooking
- Roasted Cauliflower and Aged White Cheddar Gratin - Closet Cooking
- Rumbledethumps - Tinned Tomatoes
|photo: Annie Eats|
- Banoffee Pie - Tinned Tomatoes
- Berry Almond Brioche Pudding - A splash of Vanilla
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Pie - Annie Eats
- Cranberry & Mincemeat Streusel Cake - The Caked Crusader
- Creamy Rice Pudding with Boozy Berry Compote - Tinned Tomatoes
- Frozen White Chocolate Cream Puffs - Rock Recipes
- Key Lime Pie with Meringue - Tinned Tomatoes
- Mocha Chocolate Creams - Fuss Free Flavours
- Trifle Sponge Cake - Caked Crusader
- Truffle Torte - Tinned Tomatoes
- Whisky Christmas Pudding - Butcher Baker
- White Chocolate Bread Pudding with Whisky Cream Sauce - Julia's Album
Christmas Lights Giveaway
Xmasdirect have kindly offered me four sets of multi-function christmas lights for one lucky winner. The winner can choose the colour. If you would like to win the lights, just leave a comment
For extra entries:
- Like the Tinned Tomatoes Facebook Page and leave a separate comment to let me know you have done so.
- Follow @tinnedtoms on Twitter and leave a separate comment to let me know you have done so.
- Follow Xmas Direct on Twitter @XmasDirect and leave a comment to say you have done so.
- Tweet the competition using (Make your Christmas twinkle! Win 4 sets of Christmas lights from @XmasDirect @tinnedtoms http://tinyurl.com/ce6a49m #giveaway #win #Christmas) and leave a separate comment to say you have done so.
- Follow Tinned Tomatoes on Google Connect or Networked Blogs (down the side panel) and leave another comment to say you have done so.
This giveaway will run until Thursday 29 November 2012.
Good luck everyone!
This giveaway is now closed, the winner has been drawn. The winner is - Cornish Girl.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post.