National Vegetarian Week - The 5:2 Diet for Vegetarians
I started following the 5:2 Diet back in August last year after watching the Horizon documentary Eat, Fast and Live Longer.
In the documentary Dr Michael Mosley examined the science behind fasting and how it could help us all to lose weight and live longer.
There is science behind the diet and you can read about it my original 5:2 Diet post, but for this post I wanted to look at the 5:2 Diet for vegetarians.
|Spinach Dal, my 5:2 dinner tonight. Small portion with 2 pittas|
So what do you need to do? What have I learned?
Here are my top 10 tips:
- Eat under 500 calories if you are a women or 600 calories if you are a man, twice a week.
- The rest of the time you can eat what you want, but beware, if you go too crazy on feast days, you won't lose weight and all of that work with be in vain.
- Approach the fast days with a positive mind.
- Plan what you will eat on fast days, don't leave it to chance.
- Don't let yourself go over the calorie limit, that is a slippery slope.
- Drink lots of water. It is suggested that green tea is good for fast days too.
- Fast on work days. You will be too busy to think too much about eating.
- Talk to other people about your fast. It's great to have a bit of encouragement and you will probably find other people are doing the 5:2 Diet too.
- Keep busy in the evenings as this can be a danger time as you wind down.
- Go to bed early!
Left: Low Calorie Spicy Tomato & Lentil Soup = 123 calories per portion
Centre: Broccoli and Celery Soup = 111 calories per portion (come back for the recipe tomorrow)
Right: Minestrone Soup = 198 calories per portion
Avocado, Apple & Hazelnut Salad = 227 calories per portion
Centre: Savoury Cauliflower Rice = 137 calories per portion
Right: Fridge Salad = 230 calories per portion
Left: One-Pot Southern Style Rice = 232 calories per portion
Centre: Simple Tomato Sauce = 63 calories per portion
Right: Moroccan Style Potato Bake = 233 calories per portion
Left: Garden Cottage Pie = 342 calories per portion
Right: Vegetable and Lentil Stew = 242 calories per portion
Left: Plum & Apple Smoothie with Fizz = 68 calories per glass
Centre: Pink Mango Smoothie = 115 calories per glass
Right: Swamp Juice = 115 calories per glass
Left: Cinnamon Apple Crisps = 50 calories per portion
Right: Coocnut Fruit Salad = 174 calories per portion
You can also follow my Pinterest board - 5:2 Diet for Vegetarians.
My National Vegetarian Week:
Tuesday: My Top 7 Vegetarian Food Bloggers
Wednesday: My Top 3 Vegan Food Bloggers
Thursday: The 5:2 Diet for Vegetarians
Friday: Broccoli and Celery Soup
Saturday: The Mean Green Smoothie
Sunday: Spaghetti and Beanballs
Happy Vegetarian Week!