We eat rather a lot of pesto in this house. Well it's gorgeous stuff isn't it?
I have to hold my hands up and admit that most of the pesto we eat is jarred. I do make my own pesto, but sods law means that when I want pesto to spread in a wrap or to stir through pasta, I don't have all the ingredients that I need to make it, so I end up using jarred pesto.
Don't get me wrong jarred pesto can be very good and both Sacla and Mr Organic do really nice vegan pesto, which I always stock up on for emergencies.
As good as jarred pesto is, nothing beats freshly made pesto.
Today I'm sharing a pimped up pesto. Instead of the traditional basil and pine nuts, this pesto is made with spinach, lemon and almonds. Just look at that colour!
It tastes just as good as it looks and it takes only a few minutes to whizz up in a food processor or blender. I think a generous portion could easily knock two off your five (or ten as they now say) fruit and vegetables a day. Don't you agree?
I use a preserved lemon in my pesto, but you could use the finely grated rind and juice of a small lemon instead. The taste is a little different, but it still has a really great flavour.
Spinach and Lemon Pesto Recipe
A rich green pesto made with lemon and spinach. This recipe be whizzed up quickly in a blender and served on pasta, in wraps or on bruschetta. Suitable for vegans.
- 100g fresh spinach
- 1 small preserved lemon (or juice and finely grated rind from a small lemon)
- 150ml olive oil
- 80g almonds
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 50g veggie or vegan parmesan
- a handful fresh coriander
- a good grinding black pepper
1. Slice the lemon.2. Grate the parmesan. 3. Add all the ingredients to a blender or food processor and whizz until smooth.4. Keep in a sealed jar or tub in the fridge topped up with olive oil until you need it. It will keep happily in the fridge for a few days.5. Enjoy!
Yield: 1 jar of pesto
Try the pesto in this tasty summer pasta salad.
Here are a few more pesto recipes for you to try:
Rose Petal and Roasted Tomato Pesto - Recipes from a Pantry
Basil and Pistachio Pesto - Greedy Gourmet