Rumbledethumps or Scottish Potato & Cabbage Pie
This is a recipe I found on the Scotty Brand website. As Scotty Brand kindly sent me some Kestral Potatoes to try, it seemed fitting that I try out one of the recipes they suggested.
Rumbledethumps! Aren't they immediately appealing? What a name. Without knowing it, I ate this dish a lot as a child and cooked a variation of it as an adult. The only difference is we called it potato and cabbage pie.
|Photo courtesy of Scotty Brand|
I have a sad tale for you. My computer died and I cannot retrieve the photos of the final dish after it was topped with cheese, baked and all beautiful and golden. Luckily I still had some photos of the dish before it was baked.
or Scottish Potato & Cabbage Pie
A traditional Scottish dish made of potatoes, cabbage and onion, topped with cheese and baked in the oven.
- 900g potatoes
- 1 small green cabbage
- 6 tbsp butter
- 32g chives
- a good grinding of salt & freshly ground pepper
- 240ml milk
- 130g cheddar cheese, grated
1. Peel the potatoes and cut into quarters. Core the cabbage and chop coarsely. Put the potatoes and cabbage in separate pans, and cover with lightly salted water.2. Bring each pan to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, and cook until each vegetable is very tender. Drain.3. Mash the potato with butter, adding enough milk to create a smooth texture. Stir in chives and cabbage and add salt and pepper, to taste4. Place in buttered baking dish, and sprinkle with grated cheddar. It can be baked now or refrigerated overnight at this point.5. Bake at 350°F/180°C or Gas mark 4 for 15-30 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the dish is completely heated through
DetailsTotal time: Yield: serves 6
Here are a few more potato dishes for you to try:
- Ultimate Bubble & Squeak - Lavender & Lovage
- Jamie's Blackened Potatoes - Tinned Tomatoes
- Courgette Potato Cakes - Allotment 2 Kitchen
- Patatas Bravas - Farmersgirl Kitchen
- Spicy Potato Pancakes - Lisa's Kitchen
- Lumberjack Hash - More Than Burnt Toast
- Potato & Kale Enchiladas - Green Gourmet Giraffe
- Potato Topped Veggie Mince Hot Pot - Belleau Kitchen
Family Friendly Fridays
Frugal Food Fridays
originallly hosted by Fuss Free Flavours
Disclosure Statement: I received potatoes from Scotty Brand to cook with. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.