We love pizza, don't you?
Scientists have recently discovered why. They've come to the conclusion that we have a sixth sense, no not a spooky child who can see ghosts, but a sixth taste sense. One that explains our love for pizza.
Originally they thought we had four taste senses: sweet, salty, sour and bitter. In 2009 they added umami to the list, which is a strong savoury flavour and now they have added starchy as our sixth sense which explains our love of carbs.
Muffin pizzas are an old favourite in our house. Graham actually introduced them to me. They were a quick dish his mum would make and to get down to the crux of the matter, a dish Graham can confidently make on his own.
They are super quick to pull together. English muffins* cut in half and toasted, topped with pizza sauce or tomato puree, mozzarella and whatever toppings you fancy, then grilled until the mozzarella (or dairy-free mozzarella) is melted and starting to turn golden.
I kept mine classic with a bit of bite. Fresh mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, jalapenos and basil. Classic, but as you can see I took my eye of them for a second, so they are a little charred at the edges, but still delicious.
The jalapenos I topped my mini pizzas with are from the new Deli Toppers range form Baxters. Jalapenos in vinegar with a delicious blend of spices. They have a great little kick and add a bite of flavour to pizza, nachos, wraps and toasties.
Mini Margherita Muffin Pizzas with Jalapenos
Quick but delicious mini pizzas made on an English muffin base with simple margherita toppings and a kick from jalapenos,
- 2 English muffins, sliced in half
- 6 tbsp tomato puree (or pizza sauce)
- 125g fresh mozzarella (or dairy-free), sliced
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4-8 jalapenos
- a grinding of black pepper
- a few basil leaves
1. Lightly toast both sides of the muffins.2. Top each muffin pizza base with tomato puree, then top with a layer of mozzarella.3. Add your toppings. I added a few cherry tomato halves and jalapenos. 4. Add a grinding of black pepper and you can add your basil now or save it to add fresh once the pizza is cooked.5. Pop back under the grill until the cheese has melted.6. Enjoy!
Yield: Makes 4 mini pizzas
Find out more about Baxters Deli Toppers on their microsite and enter their draw to win a jar or enter to win tickets to Taste London.
Follow the conversation on social media with #GetTopping
* For any of my American friends tuning in, don't be alarmed. English muffins are nothing like the cakey-goodness of American muffins. They are a smooth yeasted bake, somewhere between a roll (bun) and a crumpet. They have a wonderful warmth of flavour and are great toasted.
Disclosure: I created this recipe for Baxters. I was not required to write a positive review and any opinions expressed are my own.