It's rich, but has the tang of berries. It tastes luxurious, but is super healthy and chocolaty. I'll be making it again, ahhhhhh maybe tomorrow. Yes, definitely tomorrow.
So what's in it I hear you ask and why is it so healthy?
Let's start with ripe juicy pears, then add a creamy avocado and then some kale. The chocolate flavour is organic cacao powder and the extra nutrients come from baobab powder and wheatgrass powder although these are optional. It's topped up with water and ice, then whizzed until smooth and sipped through a paper straw with a smile.
Funnily enough Cooper quite liked the slightly bitter flavour of the chocolate and finished a large glass of smoothie before heading to school. My husband Graham, the wuss that he is, found it too bitter, so to stop him pouting, I added some agave nectar to sweeten it a little.
Of course I made my smoothie in my favourite gadget, my power blender.
I actually have a new beast in my kitchen. He's the Optimum 9200 Next Generation. He's even more powerful than the Optimum 9400. If you can believe that?
Have a look at this comparison with the Vitamix Pro 500. It's quite something. I always thought the Vitamix was a powerful beast, but I had to think again.
The 9200 Next Gen is also much cheaper than the Vitamix and on sale just now with a price tag of £329 (that's £100 off).
It may seem like a big price ticket, but it's worth every penny. I use mine every day. My dishwasher is the only kitchen gadget I use more and my beast (blender) doesn't even need to go in the dishwasher as he's self-cleaning.
A difference between the 9200 next gen and the 9400 (which I've been using up until now) is the 9200 has a programmable timer and it's really easy to use too. All it has is 3 speeds, 3 times and a pulse button. You can choose a speed and blend for as long as need to, select one of the time buttons or use the pulse button for short bursts.
MEDIUM Speed: Good for harder to blend mixtures and to avoid the contents heating.
FAST Speed: Use this to grind grains, chop ice and blend frozen fruit as well as whole fruit and vegetables.
Smoothies, shakes, soup, sauces, purees, dips and spreads, cocktails, frozen cocktails, ice cream, slushies, nut milks, peanut butter and other nut butters, homemade nutella, cake batter, bread dough, pizza dough, falafel and burgers.
You can also chop fruit and veg.
Have I missed anything?
Oh yes, it makes amazing jam and curd. No standing over a pot stirring, just pop the ingredients in, turn it on, walk away and let it do the business.
The Ultimate Chocolate Green Smoothie
A fruity green smoothie made chocolaty with the addition of organic cacao powder. Sinfully healthy!
- 4 ripe pears
- 1 ripe avocado
- 150g blueberries
- 1 generous handful kale
- 2 tbsp organic cacao powder
- 2 tbsp flaxseeds (linseeds)
- 2 tsp baobab powder
- 2 tsp wheatgrass powder
- top up to 3/4 full with water
- a tray of ice
1. Core the pears, leave the skin on, pop in the blender. 2. Remove the flesh from the avocado and add to the blender. 3. Add the kale, blueberries and powders. 4. Top the blender jug with water until it's 3/4 full. 5. Add the ice and blend until smooth. I used the 30 second timer on my 9200, Don't add ice if you don't have a power blender like mine, it could burn out the motor. 6. Pour and enjoy!
Yield: 6 large glasses
Here are some more green smoothies for you to try:
- Green Smoothie - Hungry Healthy Happy
- The Post Workout Green Smoothie Quencher - Fuss Free Flavours
- Key Lime Pie Smoothie with Barleygrass - Little Miss Meat Free
- Pear, Almond & Coconut Green Smoothie - Simplify Your Health
- Green Mango and Spinach Smoothie - Tinned Tomatoes
- Green Ginger Peach Smoothie - Recipes from a Pantry
- Green Valley Elvis Smoothie - Allotment 2 Kitchen
- Spring Tonic Nettle Smoothie - Tin and Thyme
Disclosure: I was sent the 9200 to review. If one is bought through my affiliate link I will gain a commission. I was not expected to write a positive review and any opinions expressed are my own. I truly do love these blenders. Move over Vitamix, the big boys are in town!