Fast day soup equals happy tummy, in fact any day soup equals happy tummy, but knowing it is helping you lose weight makes it even more special.
A simple, fresh green soup that is frugal too. Broccoli, potato, celery and a bag of mixed leaves that needed used up were the base for this soup.
Oh yes and did I mention it is only 111 calories per portion? No! Silly me!
I thought is was slurpingly good and Cooper loved it. Graham was a bit more blasé about it, saying it wasn't one of his favourites. Honestly! Sometimes I despair!!
Here is Cooper enjoying his soup. I made it during the day for our evening meal, but Cooper couldn't wait and wanted a cup of yummy soup right away. It was a bit hot, so I put a splosh of milk in his.
I do hope you give it a go. It's super good and on feast days it would be nice with that splosh of milk I added for Cooper or even some brie or blue cheese added.
Broccoli and Celery Soup
A super healthy and frugal green soup made from broccoli, celery and potato. Only 111 calories per portion.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 heads broccoli, cut into small florets
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped
- 160g bag watercress, spinach and rocket (or any mixed leaves)
- 4 pints vegetable stock
- a good grinding of black pepper
1. Saute the onion, garlic and celery in the olive oil in a large pan until the onion is soft and translucent. 2. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes until the potatoes are tender.3. Whizz until nearly smooth. I like to leave some texture in my soup.4. Season. 5. Enjoy!
Yield: Serves 6
Credit Crunch Munch hosted this month by my good friend Janice over at Farmersgirl Kitchen.
The event was set up by another two of my good friends, Helen from Fuss Free Flavours and Camilla from Fab Food 4 All.
I am also entering it into Ren's Simple and in Season, which has now been running for a year. Goodness knows where the time goes!