Now you know I like simple recipes. The ones that take minimum effort but are packed with flavour. The type that you can just walk away from and miracles happen. This veggie sausage, lentil and red pepper bake is one of those.
Veggie sausages, mushrooms, red onions and red peppers roasting away happily in the oven, then you add green and puy lentils, thyme, red wine and gravy. Leave it to bake until the flavours are intense, then serve it up with fluffy mashed potato and sweet little peas.
What do you have?
One contented family with smiles on their faces.
Well, that's the theory. In reality I had a little boy making eugh noises. Sigh
It was seriously delicious, but he didn't like everything mixed together and really wasn't impressed with the lentils. In the end he ate the mash and peas, then one sausage after a bit of persuasion. I dream of returning to those halcyon days when he ate everything and enjoyed it. I'm deluded aren't I? It's just not going to happen.
Veggie Sausage, Lentil and Red Pepper Bake
A simple bake. Veggie sausage, mushrooms, lentils, red onions and peppers baked in gravy with red wine and thyme. Serve with mash and peas for the ultimate in comfort food.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 veggie sausages (more depending on how many people you are serving)
- 6 chestnut mushrooms, halved
- 3 red onions, quartered
- 1 red peppers, cut into chunks (add two if you are serving six people)
- 390g tin green lentils, rinsed
- 250g ready to eat puy lentils
- 2 onion gravy stock pots made with 400ml hot water
- 150ml red wine
- a few sprigs of thyme
- a good grinding of black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 240c/220c fan/425f/gas mark 9. 2. Toss the sausages, red onions, red pepper and mushrooms in the olive oil. Pour into a roasting pan and spread out into a single layer. Roast for 20 minutes.3. While this is roasting, make up the gravy.4. Take the pan out of the oven, pour in the lentils, gravy and wine. Pull the leaves of the thyme by running your fingers along the stem and sprinkle over the dish, then season with black pepper.5. Fold in the liquid and lentils, then roast for a further 15 to 20 minutes until the sausages are brown and the flavours have intensified. The gravy will have thickened.6. Serve with mashed potato and peas.7. Enjoy!
Yield: Serves 4-6
If you enjoyed this bake you may like my Roast Vegetable, Veggie Sausage and Chickpea Bake. Very different flavour wise, but the same style easy bake. Both bakes are suitable for vegans.