I know we haven't quite reached spring yet, but I'm still craving salads. It's so bright and sunny outside and the daylight is around much longer. I feel I can finally throw off winter.
On a sunny day, it's actually quite warm up here in Scotland. I went without my coat one lunchtime this week. Of course those of you further south in, let's say London, will be reaching for thick scarves and gloves and chittering a little, but we're a hardy bunch up here in bonnie Scotland.
This salad was particularly fresh. Crisp slices of apple, a mixture of green salad leaves and peppery rocket, crunchy pecans and refreshing slices of cucumber finished off with pickled baby beets for a little piquancy and a drizzle of honey (or agave) and mustard dressing.
Have I got your attention yet?
Apples! I realised the other day that I don't include a lot of fruit in my salads. This one features apple and I often include pear, but I rarely go beyond that. So in the coming months I'd like to try and include more fruit in my salads, either the salad itself or in the dressing. If I forget, please give me a nudge and say I thought you were going to start getting fruity with your salads Jac. I don't have the best memory.
Today I'll leave you the recipe for this a-little-bit fruity salad.
Apple, Beet and Pecan Salad
A delicious spring salad of apples, beets and pecans with a honey (or agave) and mustard dressing.
- 1 red apple
- a squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- 100g salad leaves, including rocket
- 2 - 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 6 pickled baby beets, halved
- 12 slices cucumber
- a handful of pecans
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 - 2 tsp honey (or agave nectar) add 1 tsp then taste
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- a grinding of black pepper
1. Slice the apple thinly in full circles, then toss in lemon juice to prevent discolouring.2. Whisk up the olive oil, vinegar, honey (or agave), mustard and black pepper.3. Layer up your salad, leaves, spring onion, cucumber, apple slices, beets. Sprinkle with pecans and drizzle with dressing.4. Enjoy!
Yield: Serves 2
If you like hearty salads, try my Bulgur, Couscous and Puy Lentil Salad.