As soon as I saw this pie on Wendy's blog, A Wee Bit of Cooking, I knew I had to make it. You see, our summer here in Scotland is more like Autumn. It is cool and very, very wet.
So, bring on the comfort food and to hang with salads!
Wendy's pie is filled with cauliflower, leek and mushrooms in a creamy bechamel sauce and topped with puff pastry. The original pie was a Chanterelle & Cauliflower Pie, however I couldn't find any chanterelles, so it was just bog standard mushrooms for me, but it was still great.
Graham loved this pie! He had seconds and thirds. So thanks for the recipe Wendy, we will definitely be having this again soon.
Cauliflower and Mushroom Pie
|photo: A Wee Bit of Cooking|
- Preheat the oven to 200c fan/220c/425f/gas mark 7.
- Make the bechamel sauce and add the dried herbs and mustard to it. Cook gently for 5 minutes to let flavours combine, then season and set aside.
- Fry the leek gently in olive oil for a few minutes until soft then add the mushrooms and cook for a few minutes. Add the vinegar and cook until the juices have thickened.
- Add the cauliflower florets and stir well.
- Cover and cook gently for 15 minutes until the cauliflower has just softened. Add a little water if you need to.
- Mix the bechamel sauce with the vegetables and pour into an oven proof dish.
- Cover with puff pastry and brush with beaten egg.
- Bake until the pie is golden.
- Serve and enjoy!
Serves 2 hungry people!I have to add a thank you to my friend Adam who gave me the gorgeous cabbage plate. Thanks Adam, I love it :)