I don't often post a sandwich recipe, but sometimes a sandwich is too good not to share and this is one of those.
Creamy and crunchy, garlicky and sweet, with a little tang of lemon and such beautiful colours. How can you resist?
I made my sandwiches with shop bought hummus this week, but it is even better with homemade hummus. You can find my recipe for homemade hummus here.
What is your favourite sandwich?
As well as being super tasty this sandwich is a powerhouse of nutrients too.
Wholewheat Bread: Fiber, protein, carbohydrates, vitamin E, folate & essential omega 3 fatty acids.
Carrots: Pro-vitamin A, vitamins C, D, E, K, B1, B6, biotin, potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, organic sodium and some trace minerals.
Avocoado: Contain nearly 20 essential nutrients, including fiber, potassium, vitamin E, vitamin b and folic acid.
Fresh Lemon Juice: High in dietary fiber, vitamin C, vitamin B6, calcium, potassium, copper, thiamin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, iron and magnesium
Homemade Hummus: Protein, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, vitamin A, vitamin B, folic acid and a few other trace minerals.
Carrot, Hummus & Avocado SandwichWritten by Jacqueline Meldrum
February 24, 2012
This is an easy sandwich to make that is full of flavour and textures. It is so good for you too, which makes it hard to resist. You can use homemade or shop bought hummus to make this sandwich.
- 2 slices wholewheat bread
- 2-3 tbsp hummus
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- ½ avocado
- a squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- a good grinding of black pepper
1. Spread one slice of bread generously with hummus.2. Mash the avocado with a fork. Squeeze over a little lemon juice and mix with the avocado. This will stop the avocado discolouring, but will also add a lovely flavour to the sandwich filling. Spread the soft avocado over the second slice of bread.3. Top the avocado with the grated carrot. Season well with black pepper, then add the hummus coated top slice, face down.4. Cut in half and serve.5. Make mmmmmmm noises as you eat your sandwich.
DetailsTotal time: Yield: 1 sandwich