Did you know that today is World Nutella Day? No? I didn't either until I had a conversation with Ros in the early hours of this morning.
I won a jar of nutella over at Kerrycooks and it arrived yesterday, that is where the conversation begins.
And so I got my mini cupcake maker from Prezzybox back out of the box for a second airing.
Cooper was very eager to get started and he was a great help measuring out the ingredients and whisking.
Once the cupcakes were cool, I filled them with Nutella and then topped them with Nutella Buttercream Icing and little itsy bitsy smartie-type sweets.
Maple Cupcakes with a Nutella Filling
Really easy maple flavoured cupcakes. There is no butter in this recipe, so there is no beating until your arm wants to drop off. This is leisurely baking. I filled my cupcakes with nutella and piped nutella buttercream on top, but this is purely optional.
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 1⁄3 cup sunflower oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄3 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- a pinch of salt
- 8 tsp nutella (optional filling)
1. Preheat oven to 180c/160c fan/350f/gas 4 or preheat a cupcake maker (rub the wells lightly with oil).2. I made mini cupcakes in my cupcake maker, but you can bake these in cases. If so, pop the cases into a 12 cup muffin tray.3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, vinegar, maple syrup, oil and vanilla until well combined. Set aside while you measure the dry ingredients, for at least 2 minutes.4. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and whisk just until combined (do not over mix). 5. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups or 2⁄3 fill each well of your cupcake maker.6. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until a tester inserted in one of the cupcakes comes out clean. If you are using a mini cupcake maker, give the cakes between 8 and 10 minutes until lightly golden and springy.7. Leave the cupcakes to cool on a wire rack. If you are filling them, cut a cone shape out of the top of each cake. Fill with ½ tsp of nutella, remove some of the cake underneath the lid and pop the lid back on. Drizzle with icing or frost with buttercream.8. Enjoy
DetailsTotal time: Yield: 16 mini cupcakes or 12 standard cupcakes
Nutella Buttercream Icing
A smooth chocolately buttercream. Great for piping onto cupcakes.
- ½ cup/1 stick/125g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup Nutella
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp milk, a little more if needed
1. Cream the butter until it is smooth. 2. Add the nutella and beat until well combined.3. Add the icing sugar a spoonful at a time, whilst still mixing. 4. Add the milk and whisk in. Add a little more if you think it needs it.
DetailsTotal time: Yield: enough for 12 cupcakes or 16 mini cucakes
Teatime Treats - Romance (until 28 February 2012)
Chocolate Lover - Valentine's Day (until 15 February 2012)
Sweet Luv - Sweet Dishes for Valentine's Day (until 29 February 2012)