Roasted Butternut Squash & Sage Soup
I used half of a butternut squash to make a creamy pasta sauce for Cooper, which by the way, I urge you to try as it's yummy. The other half of the squash I used to make this easy soup.
I teamed up the roasted squash with sage for an earthy flavour and then added some zing with a swirl of lemony herb dressing. The combination was outstanding. I don't think the soup would have been half as good without that contrast. It really turned the soup into something special.
I am entering my soup into this month's No Croutons Required, which I am hosting this month. If you would like to enter a soup or salad suitable for vegetarians, you have until the 20th of February 2012. The topic this month is fresh herbs.
Roasted Butternut Squash & Sage SoupWritten by Jacqueline Meldrum
February 09, 2012
This a a flavourful and easy soup. I topped my soup with a swirl of citrusy herb dressing, which was a lovely contrast to the earthiness of the soup.
- ½ butternut squash
- a splosh of olive oil
- a grinding of black pepper
- a few fresh sage leaves
- 1 pint vegetable stock
- a seasoning of salt and pepper
- another splosh olive oil
- a good handful of fresh herbs, I used parsley & basil
- a squeeze of lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 200c/180c fan/400f/gas 6.2. Slice the butternut squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds. Cut into half moon shapes about 2 cm. Toss in olive oil and season with black pepper.3. Roast in the oven for about 20-25 minutes until soft and starting to brown at edges. Remove from the tray and leave to cool.4. Once cool pop the squash into a food processor with the sage and the vegetable stock. Pour into a pot to warm through and season.5. Whizz up the fresh herbs, olive oil and lemon juice, then drizzle over each bowl of soup.
DetailsTotal time: Yield: serves 3 - 4
A few more butternut squash recipes for you to drool over:
* Roasted Butternut Squash with Goat's Cheese from BBC Good Food
* Roasted Butternut Squash Tart with Gorgonzola from Allotment 2 Kitchen
* Comforting Butternut Squash and Red Lentil Dal from Mostly Eating
* Butternut Squash, Feta Cheese & Roasted Pepper Quiche from Farmersgirl Kitchen
* Quinoa, Squash Salad with a Honey Paprika Vinaigrette from Wheat Free Meat Free
* Chunky Carrot and Squash Soup with Coconut and Red Chilli from Tinned Tomatoes