I made this salad for my lunch tomorrow. As you can see, I am good to myself. I really can't wait to get tucked in and I know it is going to draw envious looks. Although don't be fooled into thinking I eat like this every lunchtime. Quite often lunch is rice cakes and tartex or a tube of instant tomato soup.
This is also my entry for this month's No Croutons Required. It was my turn to host this month and I came up with the idea of perking soup or salads up with any jarred antipasto sitting in your cupboard. There hasn't been a huge amount of entries so far, so I do hope you will join in too. I won't be posting the roundup until Saturday night (21 April 2012), so you still have time to enter.
- 60g mixed salad leaves (I used watercress, rocket and baby spinach)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 red onion, halved then quartered
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 artichoke hearts in oil, drained and sliced roughly
- 4cm wide piece of goat's cheese, crumbled
1. Preheat the oven to 220c/200c fan/gas mark 7.2. In a bowl toss the red pepper and red onion in the olive oil, then spread out on an ovenproof tray and roast for approximately 20 minutes until soft and browning at the edges.3. Toss the sliced avocado in lemon juice to prevent it from discolouring.4. Layer up your salad. Divide the salad leaves onto two plates, then top with the red pepper, onion, artichoke, avocado. Finish off with the crumbled goats cheese and your favourite dressing.
DetailsTotal time: Yield: 2 salads