Instead of just serving it up the next night again, I decided to turn it into a delicious, creamy soup. Cooper and I really enjoyed it, so I will be doing this again.
I scaled up the recipe to a full pot of soup, but if like me you have leftover broccoli and cauliflower in cheese sauce, then just add some stock, seasoning and herbs.
Cauliflower Cheese Soup with Broccoli
January 13, 2013
A great way of turning leftover cauliflower sauce into a tasty soup.
- 1 large cauliflower
- 1 head of broccoli
- 40g butter
- 45g plain flour
- 650ml/2 ¾ cups hot milk
- 100g extra mature cheddar
- 25g grated parmesan
- 2 cloves garlic, cut in half
- 2 bay leaves
- a good grinding of salt & black pepper
- 1 ½ litres /6 1⁄3 cups vegetable stock, more if you feel it needs it
- 1 tsp cayene pepper
- a handful of fresh chives, chopped finely
1. Steam your cauliflower and broccoli until tender.2. Make your cheese sauce. First infuse the hot milk with the garlic and bay leaves. Leave for 10 minutes. Melt the butter in a pan on a low heat, then add the flour and cook out for five minutes, stirring regularly.3. Pour the infused milk mixture (strain it first to get rid of the garlic etc), little by little, into the flour and butter mix (roux), stirring all the time, with the heat on low, so it will not burn on the bottom of the pan.4. Then add the pepper and bring to a slow simmer for five minutes at a slow temperature, stirring constantly, before you add the cheese.5. Whizz the vegetables, cheese sauce and stock in a blender, then season and pour into a large soup pot to gently heat. At this point you can check the seasoning and decide if the soup needs to be thinned a little with some more stock. Add the cayenne pepper and stir though.6. Serve with a scattering of chopped chives.
Yield: Serves 6-8
I am submitting my soup to this month's edition of No Croutons Required which is hosted this month by my best buddy Lisa over at Lisa's Kitchen.
The topic this month is leftovers.
If you would like to join in, then add your soup or salad to the linky by the 20th of January 2013.