As you know I'm always trying to boost Cooper's fruit and vegetable intake. Sometimes it's just offered on the plate or in his lunch box and sometimes it's just pure sneaky!
I made a league table up to show you my problem. Now make sure you understand that the sometimes eat column as actually rarely eat!
Cooper's Vegetable and Salad League Table
|He has no problem eating chocolate cake!|
I have to be sneaky to make sure he has enough good stuff in his diet.
This latest milkshake it another of my sneaky recipes. Whole milk, a large ripe avocado, a banana, some Clarks Clear Blossom Honey to sweeten it, some seeds, cocoa powder and some Nutella.
He loved it! Especially when I served him some in a milk bottle with some sprinkles around the top.
It's not low fat or low calorie, but it's healthy and as a little boy who runs about all day, he needs the calories.
You could lower the calories by using skimmed or semi-skimmed milk and only using half the avocado, but it is perfect for a growing lad.
Chocolate & Avocado Shake
A healthy shake with an extra boost of vitamins from avocado, banana and flax seeds (linseeds).
- 600ml whole milk (or soya mik)
- 1 large ripe avocado, flesh only
- 1 banana banana
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp Nutella (you can add extra cocoa instead of nutella)
- 2 tsp runny honey (or agave nectar)
- 2 tsp flax seeds (linseeds)
- 1 tsp jam
- 2 tbsp sprinkles
1. Whizz up the milk, avocado, banana, cocoa powder, nutella, honey, flax seeds and a handful of ice cubes until smooth.2. To decorate the glasses or milk bottles, rub or brush jam around the rim of each glass. Pour your sprinkles into a little bowl and dip each jammed glass rim in the sprinkles until coated.3. Pour the smoothie into each glass and serve.4. Enjoy!
Yield: Serves 4-6
I'm entering my shake into two challenges this month. Extra Veg a new monthly challenge set up by Helen at Fuss Free Flavours and Michelle at Utterly Scrummy. Helen is hosting this month.
Family Foodies - a challenge by Vanesther over at Bangers and Mash. The theme this month is hidden goodies.
By the way, just in case you are interested, the wee buddies in the photos belong to Cooper. The fox, is called Daniel Dan and the owls are little no-sew sock owls, you can find my sock owl tutorial over at Baby Centre.
Disclosure: Clarks sent me some of their honey to try. I was not required to write a positive post and any opinions expressed are my own.