I fell in love with Gran Luchito last year when I lurked around their stall at Food Blogger Connect in London. After my first taste, I just had to go back for more and more. It's seriously addictive stuff!
They use rare Oaxacan (pronounced wa-ha-can) chillies to make chilli paste and to flavour mayo and honey. The thing that struck me was there was so much flavour and not just heat. I was instantly a convert. The mayo is particularly good.
Burgers always need to be over seasoned and spiced as a lot of flavour is lost when they are cooked, so I decided to use the chilli paste in my burgers to spice things up for Valentines Day.
I made this first batch with an egg as a binder, but next time I make them I'll use a flax egg so they are vegan friendly for my lovely hubby.
1 Flax Egg = 1 tbsp freshly ground flax seeds (linseeds) and 3 tbsp water mixed, then left in fridge to thicken.
For spice I added 2 tsp of chilli paste to my burgers, but you could add even more if you want them extra spicy.
I served my burgers on a bun with salad leaves, sliced baby beets and pink marie sauce (a bit like a rose marie, but pinker). For 2 burgers you need 2 tbsp mayonnaise, 1 tbsp ketchup and 1 tsp of pickled beetroot vinegar, whisked together and seasoned with black pepper.
Smoked Chilli Bean Burgers
Spicy heart shaped bean burgers for Valentines Day.
- 1 x 400g tin black beans
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas
- 1 x 400g tin cannellini beans
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 heaped tsp Gran Luchito chilli paste
- 1 large egg or flax egg
- a handful of fresh coriander
- 50g porridge oats
- a good grinding of black pepper
1. Drain and rinse the beans, then pour them into a large bowl and mash with the crushed garlic and chilli paste. Don't over mash, it's nice to have some big pieces of bean in the burgers.2. Beat the egg and fold into the beans.3. Add the oats and coriander, season with black pepper and mix with the beans.4. Shape into patties and chill in the fridge until you are ready to cook them.5. Fry in a little oil or bake in the oven until well cooked and crisp.6. Serve in a toasted bun with your choice of filling.7. Enjoy!
Yield: Makes 4-6 burgers
Notes: Add extra time for chilling
|photo: Fuss Free Flavours|
Ren Behan - Baked Camembert with Smoked Chilli Honey
Tinned Tomatoes - Cheesey Bean Wraps
Feeding Boys and a Firefighter - Spicy Thai Noodle Soup
Fuss Free Flavours - Chilli Honey Marshmallows
The Botanical Baker - Chilli Honey Baklava
Maison Cupcake - Sarah's Hot Stuff Brownie Love Bites
Dolly Bakes - Hot Chocolate Bundt Cake
Disclosure: Gran Luchito sent me some product to use in this recipe and reimbursed me for my ingredients and time. I was not required to write a positive review and any opinions expressed are my own.