Don't you just love puff pastry?
I learned how to make it from scratch at school and it's pretty satisfying, but life's too short and ready-made is pretty good quality. So if you have the time, make your own, otherwise make these Spicy 3 Bean Sausage Rolls with shop bought pastry.
Did I mention they are vegan too? So everyone is happy and we love them, but hey it's puff pastry. What's not to love?
I gave the beans and spices a few pulses (pulses haha!) in my Optimum 9400 blender, but you could just mash them in a bowl. Do leave some whole beans, it's good for the texture.
Now the spices, I didn't make them overly spicy as Cooper was eating them, but feel free to increase the amount of spice you use.
I do hope you give these a try.
As you can see I served them nursery style with chips and peas.
The chips were healthier than usual as I cooked them in another new toy, my Philips Air Fryer from Tesco Direct. I still can't get over the fact it only takes ½ tbsp of oil to cook enough chips for 4 people. Isn't technology great?
And of course we all had a dollop of ketchup on the side. Shhhhhhh! don't tell anyone!
Spicy 3 Bean Sausage Rolls
Spicy vegan sausage rolls made with a selection of beans and spices all bound up in golden and flaky puff pastry.
- 1 block Jus-Rol Puff Pastry (suitable for vegans)
- 400g black beans
- 400g canellini beans
- 400g kidney beans
- 4 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp onion granules/powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1-2 tsp chilli powder
- 5 tbsp porridge oats
- a good grinding of salt and black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 220c/200c fan/425f/gas mark 7.1. Give the beans and spices a few pulses in a blender until partly blended or mash in a bowl.3. Add the oats and mix through.4. Roll out the puff pastry into a rectangle and cut in half. Make sausage shapes with the bean mix, leaving a space around each You should manage 4 sausages on the pastry. Any leftover bean mixture can be frozen and used again.5. Brush a little water around the sausage shapes, then lay the second sheet of pastry on top and seal down the sides. Slice between the sausage rolls and cut each in half.6. Slice into the top of each pastry to let steam out, place on a baking sheet and bake for 20 - 25 minutes until golden.7 Enjoy!
Yield: Makes 8 Sausage Rolls
Here are a few more pastry recipes for you to try:
- Cheese & Mustard Pinwheels - Blue Kitchen Bakes
- Tomato, Pesto & Thyme Tarte Tatin - Cook Sister
- Cheese, Asparagus & Mushroom Pufflets - Franglais Kitchen
- Saag Paneer Pufs with Mango Dipping Sauce - Amuse Your Bouche
- Courgette, Mascarpone and Parmesan Tart - Greedy Gourmet (use veggie or vegan style Parmesan)
- Lemon Courgette Pesto Tart - Maison Cupcake
- Puff Pizza Pie - Tinned Tomatoes
- Veggie Haggis, Tattie & Baked Beans Pasties - Tinned Tomatoes
- Apple & Blueberry Tarte Tatin - Fab Food 4 All
- Apple Tarte Tatin - Greedy Gourmet
Disclosure: I mentioned both the Optimum 9400 and the Philips Air Fryer in my post. This is not a review post, but I was given these products for the purpose of review. As ever my opinions are my own.