I hear we'll have warmer weather next week, but at the moment it's soup weather and today I bring you Cheesey Broccoli and Spinach Soup.
I used to make this purely with broccoli, but I've started to add spinach to it lately. We eat a lot of spinach. Popeye has nothing on us. I add it to smoothies, soups, dal, pasta and stews. I'm sure I add it to more than that but those are the ways we eat it regularly. It features in a lot of smoothies too. Today I had a smoothie of raspberries, banana, spinach and mango juice. It was glorious.
Cheesey Broccoli and Spinach Soup
A smooth vegan soup topped with cheese for the veggies. Excellent both ways. Frugal, delicious and healthy. Happy days.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 heads of broccoli, cut into florets
- 100g fresh spinach
- 1½ pints/3 cups vegetable stock
- a good grinding of salt and pepper
- 100g mature cheddar, grated
1. Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat and add the garlic and onion and saute for a few minutes until the onion is soft.2. Add the broccoli and spinach and cook gently for a few minutes.3. Add the stock, bring to the boil, then lower the heat to a gentle simmer and cover. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the broccoli is just tender.4. Pour the soup into a blender (in batches) and puree until smooth.5 Season and serve. Top with grated cheddar (optional) 6. Enjoy!
Yield: Serves 4
Here are a few more veggie and vegan soups for you to enjoy:
Clockwise from top left: