I love a bake and this tagine fits the bill nicely. It's easy to make, packed with flavour and really satisfying.
I roasted the vegetables first and then added the chickpeas, tomatoes and spices. I made my Veggie Sausage and Chickpea Bake the same way and it was super tasty.. I changed my vegetables up this time and used what I had from my veg box. Butternut squash, red onion, courgette, red peppers and beetroot, which all taste great roasted. I changed my spices this time too and went for a simple combination of paprika and chilli powder.
|Veggie Sausage, Lentil & Red Pepper Bake|
They are so easy, the oven does all the work.
You can serve them with:
- bulgur wheat
- baked potatoes
- mashed potato
- crusty bread
Vegan Roasted Vegetable and Chickpea Tagine
An easy, richly flavoured bake of roasted vegetables and chickpeas spiced with paprika and chilli powder. I serve this with bulgur wheat, but it's great with couscous, rice or mashed potatoes.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions
- ½ butternut squash
- 2 red peppers
- 2 beetroot (uncooked)
- 1 large courgette
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas, rinsed
- 5 tbsp tomato puree
- 1-2 tsp paprika
- ½ - 1 tsp chilli powder (more if you like things spicy)
- a good grinding of salt and pepper
- 150ml vegetable stock (2 cubes)
1. Preheat the oven to 220c/200c fan/425f/Gas 7. 2. Prepare the vegetables. Slice the onion into thin wedges, cut the butternut squash into chunks, cut the peppers into halves, then quartered, cut the courgette into fairly thick slices and the beetroot into small wedges.3. Toss the vegetables in the olive oil and roast for 25 to 30 minutes, turning once, until soft and charred. Try to keep them in a single layer.4. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, tomato puree, stock and spices to the pan with the vegetables and mix through. Be careful not to burn yourself, it's easily done.5. Bake for another 20-25 minutes until the sauce has thickened.6. Serve with freshly cooked bulgur wheat and I topped mine with a dollop of dairy free plain yoghurt, but you could add a dollop of sour cream if you aren't going dairy free.7. Enjoy!
Yield: Serves 4-6