Floral and Hardy garden designers challenged me to come up with a three course meal using seasonal produce that could be grown in a garden. My garden isn't one of those gardens unfortunately, but I was able to come up with a menu for them.
The seasonal produce I decided to showcase:
- Swede (or neeps as we call it in Scotland)
Kale & Cheddar Bubble and Squeak, topped with a Soft Poached Egg
Rich Mushroom & Onion Pie topped with creamy Neeps and Mashed Tatties
Caramel Apple Coopers (a sweet treat named after my sweet child)
For my main course I slow cooked mushrooms and onions until they were juicy and flavourful. Made a rich sauce out of stock and red wine and topped the pie with buttery mashed swede and potato, then popped it in the oven until it was goldenly tempting.
It was comforting and delicious.
Rich Mushroom & Neep Pie
A gloriously comforting and frugal pie, perfect for dark winter nights.
- 1 tbsp cold pressed rapeseed oil
- 2 onions, halved and sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 150g baby button mushrooms
- 6 flat cap mushrooms, sliced
- 1 heaped tbsp plain flour
- 100ml red wine
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 1 swede/neep, chopped
- 6 potatoes, chopped
- 50g butter or vegan margarine
- a good grinding of salt & black pepper
1. In separate pans, boil your swede and potatoes until tender.2. In separate bowls, mash your swede with butter and season and do the same to your potatoes. Set aside.3. While your swede and potatoes are cooking, saute the onions and garlic in the rapeseed oil until tender, then add the mushrooms and cook gently for 10-15 minutes until the mushrooms are soft and succulent. Stir in the flour.4. Add the red wine and stock and cook at a gentle simmer, with a lid on for 15-20 minutes until the wine and stock have turned into a thick sauce, then season.5. While the mushrooms are cooking, preheat the oven to 220c/200cfan/425f/gas mark 7.6. Transfer the mushrooms to a casserole dish and top first with the swede and then with the mash. Cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the potato topping is golden.7. Enjoy with a selection of green vegetables and a glass of rich red wine.
Yield: 1 family sized pie
Disclosure: Floral & Hardy covered the cost of my ingredients. I was not required to write a positive review and any opinions expressed are my own.