I usually make potato salad with lots of herbs and mayonnaise, but this time I decided to make a creamy vegan potato salad which is altogether lighter in taste and calories.
I like lots of fresh herbs in my potato salad especially dill, which goes so well with potatoes, but this time I added fresh basil too. I also added some Gran Luchito chilli paste for a bit of a kick but that is purely optional.
For the creamy texture I used Alpro Single Soya Cream, which is also great for making creamy pasta sauces and pouring over dessert. Of course Graham was pleased not to miss out on potato salad like he generally does. Cooper well, he wasn't particularly impressed. He likes his potatoes naked and couldn't see what all the fuss was about.
How do you like your potato salad?
Creamy Vegan Potato Salad
A lighter version of potato salad that''s dairy free. It's fresh and tasty. A great side, picnic or buffet dish.
- 12 baby potatoes, halved
- ¼ cucumber
- ¼ white onion
- 3 spring onions
- a handful of fresh basil
- a handful of fresh dill
- 4 tbsp Alpro Single Soya Cream (or similar)
- ½ tsp Gran Luchito Chilli Paste (optional)
- a good grinding salt and black pepper
1. Lightly boil or steam the potatoes, then rinse under old water to stop the cooking process and to cool them down. They should be cooked but still firm.2. Cut the cucumber lengthways and slice, then finely slice the spring onion and white onion. You may use more onion of you like, but I think this is enough.3. Chop the herbs, then add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix. Season with salt and pepper. 4. Enjoy!
Yield: Serves 4
Here are some more potato recipes for you to enjoy:
- New Potatoes with Za'atar and Preserved Lemons - Franglais Kitchen
- Potato Salad with a Rhubarb and Balsamic Dressing - Tinned Tomatoes
- Yogurt Dill Potato Salad - The Yummy Life
- Asparagus & Goats Cheese Potato Salad - Amuse Your Bouche
- Green Bean & Chilli Potato Salad - The Greedy Gourmet
- Carmelised Onion Potato Salad - The Greedy Gourmet
- Potato Salad with Chive Flowers - Cook Sister
If you do prefer mayonnaise on pasta salad, but are looking for a dairy free vegan mayonnaise over at Great British Chefs.
I flavoured it with lemon and mustard and it's so good, even if you aren't vegan you should try it.
Potatoes over and out!
For more delicious veggie and vegan recipes and chat, remember to follow Tinned Tomatoes on: