Creamy Mushroom & Herb Spaghetti (vegan)
When Graham became vegan, all the cheesey and creamy sauces were dropped. It was simpler that way. If made a tomato based sauce, then everyone could enjoy it and I only had to cook one meal.
We 've both come a long way in the last year and I am starting to veganise recipes rather than go for the easy option.
When Cooper and I have macaroni cheese, I make a cheese sauce for Graham by making a roux with soy milk and dairy free spread, then flavouring it with nutritional yeast. It's actually pretty close to the real thing. The flavour isn't as strong though, so Cooper and I stick to the extra mature cheddar version.
One of Graham's favourite dishes when he was vegetarian was pasta with a creamy mushroom and fresh herb sauce, so I decided to try and make this vegan for him.
I used Alpro soya yoghurt as the base instead of cream and I was really pleased with the result. It was quite a thick sauce, so I might thin it a little with soy milk next time, but I will definitely be making it again as it got the thumbs up from Graham and Cooper. Graham has requested penne next time.
Vegan Creamy Mushroom and Herb Spaghetti
A rich creamy mushroom and herb sauce that thickly coats spaghetti, topped with some succulent slices of mushroom,
- 1 tbsp cold pressed rapeseed oil
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 200ml/¾ cup Alpro soya yoghurt (plain)
- a small handful of dried porcini mushrooms
- a few fresh basil leaves
- a good grinding of black pepper
1. Soak the dried mushrooms in enough boiling water to cover them and set aside.2. Cook spaghetti according to packet instructions.3. Saute the portobello mushrooms in the rapeseed oil and garlic until browned and juicy. Season with black pepper while they are cooking.4. Drain and rinse the re-hydrated mushrooms. Add to a blender along with half the mushrooms, the soya yoghurt and a few basil leaves. Whizz until smooth. If the sauce is too thick, thin with a little soy milk or other dairy free milk.5. Drain the pasta and coat in the sauce, Serve the pasta immediately and top with the remaining mushrooms and herbs.6. Enjoy!
Yield: Serves 4
Here are a few of the vegan recipes I have created for Graham:
- Spiced Moroccan Pate with oatcakes
- Minestrone Soup with crusty bread
- Warm Ribbon Courgette & Potato Salad with Pesto
- Potato and Bean Salad with Zingy Green Dressing
- Cottage Garden Pie
- Mushroom, Tattie and Neep Pie
- Spicy Veggie Tacos
- One-Pot Southern Style Rice
- Spaghetti and Beanballs
- Cajun Spiced Black bean and Sweet Potato Burgers
- Chocolate and Banana Flapjacks
- Peanut Butter and Coconut Cookies
- Vanilla Cake
- Apricot Trifle with Sprinkles
- Coconut Island Smoothie
Pasta Please,which is being hosted this month by Ruth over at Makey-Cakey.
Ruth has chosen Cheeseless Wonders as the theme.
If you would like to join in and submit a recipe, you have until the 28th of July.