In the Summer we really enjoy cold pasta salads. Now I'm not talking claggy leftover pasta, I'm talking about firm, glossy pasta with Summer flavours and colours that pop.
Pasta salad shouldn't just be a scoop on the side of your plate at a BBQ or a small tub quickly grabbed out a chiller cabinet for a hurried lunch at your desk. It deserves it's place at the dinner table too.
salad I used my favourite salad pasta shape which I call belly button pasta, but it's real name is Messicani. If you have trouble finding it, I buy mine in M&S. They often have it on a 3 for 2 offer. I made a dressing of basil and rapeseed oil, added sunblush tomatoes, fresh Santini tomatoes and sweetcorn, with a dollop of Mr Organic Sundried Tomato Pesto (which is vegan) thrown in for extra flavour.
It only takes a few minutes to make once the pasta is cooked, so it's great for weeknight meals. I made enough for us to enjoy a portion for lunch the next day and Cooper and I had a little fresh mozzarella in ours, but that's optional. Do you like cold pasta salads or do you prefer your pasta hot?
Summer Tomato and Corn Pasta Salad
A fresh summery pasta salad with sunblush tomatoes, tomatoes, corn and a herb dressing. So quick to put together.
- 500g dried Messicani pasta
- 1 large handful fresh basil
- 4 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 jar sunblush tomatoes, plus a glug of the oil
- 150 - 200g santini tomatoes (or other)
- 340g sweetcorn
- 2 tbsp Mr Organic Sundried Tomato Pesto (or similar)
- a good grinding of black pepper
1. Cook the pasta according to the packet until al dente. Drain and rinse under a cold tap until the pasta is cold and glossy (this is the secret to a great pasta salad). Shake off as much water as possible.2. While that pasta is cooking whizz the basil and rapeseed oil into a dressing. Use scissors to snip the sunblush tomatoes in their jar, drain the corn and cut the fresh tomatoes in half.3. Once the pasta is well drained, mix through the herb dressing and the pesto. 4. Next add the sunblush tomatoes and a glug of oil from the jar, which has a wonderful flavour, then add the fresh tomatoes and corn. Mix together well and season with black pepper.5. Serve and enjoy!notes: leftover pasta salad will keep happily in the fridge for a few days. Toss it before serving to re-coat in the oil.
Yield: Serves 6
Here are a few more pasta salads for you to try:
- Greek Pasta Salad - Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary
- Herbful Pasta Salad with Mushrooms - Tinned Tomatoes
- Tomato Avocado Pasta Salad - Simple Cooking
- Spinach, Cilantro (Coriander), Avocado Pasta Salad - Tastes Better from Scratch
- Roasted Tomato and Garlic Pasta Salad - Last Ingredient
- Mushroom and Herb Tortellini - Franglais Kitchen
- Rocket & Mozzarella Farfalle Salad - Tinned Tomatoes
I took the photos of my Summer pasta salad with my new Olympus PEN Mini E-PM2 camera, which I am trying out at the moment. Lovely crisp shots so far.
I am submitting my salad to this month's Speedy Suppers which is hosted by Katie over at Feeding Boys and a Firefighter and Sarah over at Maison Cupcake. The theme this month is Speedy Salads and to Pasta Please hosted this month by Dannii over at Hungry Healthy Happy, he theme is healthy/lightened pasta dishes.
For more delicious veggie and vegan recipes and chat, remember to follow Tinned Tomatoes on: