I'm still on my hearty salad kick.
This time I decided to make a pasta salad. We often eat a cold pasta salad for dinner and have the leftovers for lunch the next day. It's just something a bit different. It's simple too but full of flavour.
The wonderful thing about this salad is the different textures. Firm glossy pasta shells coated in pesto and tossed with salad leaves, soft peppery sautéed mushrooms, crunchy half moons of cucumber and creamy goats' cheese. I used bistro salad leaves which have lovely little strands of beetroot mixed through, but you could use any mixed leaves.
As this was a 'use what I have in the fridge' exercise, I used jarred pesto sauce, but it would be great with freshly made pesto. If you're looking for a good shop-bought veggie pesto try Sacla Organic Basil Pesto or for vegans try Mr Organic Basil Pesto. Those are the two brands we like.
This salad could also be served warm, with cold little bites from the cucumber and goats' cheese. It's every filling and super tasty.
Conchiglioni Pasta Salad with Mushrooms and Goats' Cheese
A hearty pasta salad coated in pesto and tossed with salad leaves, cucumber, sauteed mushrooms and goats' cheese.
- 500g Conchiglioni (Shell) pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 50g bistro salad leaves
- ¼ cucumber, sliced
- 4 tbsp veggie pesto
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 50 -100g soft goats' cheese (depending on how cheesey you want your salad)
- a good grinding of black pepper
1. Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions until al dente, then rinse until cold. This is important if you want firm glossy pasta.2. Saute the mushrooms in 1 tbsp olive oil until soft and then season well with black pepper. 3. In a large bowl toss the cold pasta in 1 tbsp of olive oil and the pesto.4. Mixed through the salad leaves, mushrooms and goats cheese. 5. Enjoy!
Yield: Serves 6
If you're still in the mood for salads, here are my three favourite salads:
and a few more from around the web:
Vegetable Salad with Seaweed & Miso Dressing - Fuss Free Flavours
Kale Pesto Pasta with Rocket Salad - A Mummy Too