I've been raving about salads recently. I've been eating a lot of them and telling you to forget about soups and embrace salads with me, I even had the most gorgeous salad in Pizza Express on Sunday night instead of pizza.
I know, I know. Now I'm telling you to eat soup.
The trouble with salads are Cooper doesn't like them. He likes cucumber, carrots, sweetcorn and red pepper, but that's it. If I put down an exciting mixed dressed salad with avocado, beetroot and asparagus in front of him he just wouldn't eat it and I need him to have have a variety of veg in his diet. I still add vegetables to his smoothies and the salad he does like into packed lunch with some falafel or veggie sausages, but he needs something different in the evening. So soup it is.
This is a really simple soup that is creamy and has a sweetness from the sweet potatoes and carrots and a warmth of spice to even that sweetness out. I blended this one until it was smooth and served it straight up, but it would be good with a swirl of coconut milk or cream (dairy or dairy free).
Serve it with crusty bread, crackers or a salad, it's your choice, but do try it.
Lightly Spiced Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup
A creamy soup with the sweetness of sweet potatoes and carrots, balanced with the warmth of spices. Easy to make, nutritious and tasty.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 kg sweet potatoes, chopped
- 500g carrots, chopped
- 3 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp dried coriander
- 1 tsp chilli powder (optional)
- a handful of fresh coriander
- 1 ½ litres vegetable stock (4 stock cubes)
- a good grinding of salt and pepper
1. Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil in a large pot until soft. 2. Add the carrots and sweet potato and cook gently for a few minutes, then add the spices and pour in the stock.3. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes. 4. Add the herbs and blend until smooth, then season with salt and pepper5. Enjoy!
Yield: Makes 1 large pot of soup
If you enjoyed this soup, try some more of our family favourites.