Hands up who can resist potatoes?
Really? You have more willpower than me. I adore potatoes. I love them baked, boiled, mashed, roast or fried. I'm here, I'm ready, pass them to me now!
This potato bake is a side dish, but honestly I could sit down with a fork and just eat this for dinner. Yes I am that greedy.
Simple doesn't mean lacking in flavour. It just means fresh and quick with the main flavours shining.
Potatoes, red onions and thyme seasoned and baked to perfection (crispy bits), then topped with pickled onion slices for the contrast to the sweet flavour of the roast onions.
The pickles onions are actually Red Onion Deli Toppers from Baxters new range. Red onions in vinegar and spices. They are super handy for adding to dishes like my potato bake to give them that finishing POW!
They also quickly perk up sandwiches, wraps, salads and baked potatoes.
They are rather addictive!
The quantities don't really matter with this dish, just season it well.
I used rather huge baby potatoes, but any potatoes would be fine. Just cut a good quantity of onions and potatoes, toss in a little oil and fresh or dried thyme, season and bake until crispy.
I do recommend topping it with the pickled red onions, it really gives another dimension to the flavours. If you eat dairy, some feta crumbled over the dish during the last 10-15 minutes of cooking would be good too as it browns up a little and crisps a bit at the edges rather than melting.
Roast Potato and Double Red Onion Bake
A simple red onion and potato bake flavoured with thyme and seasoned with black pepper. The finishing touch is pickled red onion slices. Serve as a side or just pick up a fork and get stuck in.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 large baby potatoes
- 4 small red onions
- a few sprigs fresh thyme
- a good grinding salt and pepper
- a generous topping of Baxters Red Onion slices
1. Preheat the oven to 180c/160c fan/350f/gas mark 4.2. Slice the potatoes length ways in half and half again so you have long wedges.3. Peel and quarter the onions.4. Toss the potatoes and onions in the oil with the thyme and season with salt and pepper, then place on a oven-proof dish or roasting pan and roast in the oven for 45-50 minutes until the edges are crispy, the potatoes are crisp but fluffy inside and the onions are soft and sweet.5. Serve as a side or eat with a fork!6. Enjoy!
Yield: Serves 2-3 as a side dish
Find out more about Baxters Deli Toppers on their microsite and enter their draw to win a jar or enter to win tickets to Taste London.
Follow the conversation on social media with #GetTopping
Check out my other Baxter Deli Toppers recipes:
- Mini Margherita Muffin Pizzas with Jalapenos
- Beet, Chive & Asparagus Puff Tarts
- Vegan Mushroom Tarts with Pickled Slaw
Disclosure: I created this recipe for Baxters. I was not required to write a positive review and any opinions expressed are my own.