This is such a quick and easy jam to make and it can be made out of season too. Just substitute the fresh fruit with frozen. It has a fabulous flavour either way! The fruit I used this time was frozen. The fresh berries are past their best now.
Summer Fruit Jam
400g summer fruit (a mixture of berries)
juice and rind of 1 lemon
- Place the sugar in a heatproof bowl and pop in a moderate oven for 10 minutes to heat up.
- Put a saucer in the freezer to test the jam.
- Place the fruit in a saucepan with the lemon juice and rind and heat up. Simmer for 3 minutes and crush most of the fruit with a potato masher. Add the warm sugar, stir to dissolve and bring to the boil. Boil for 3-4 minutes over a high heat, stirring regularly.
- To test, put a spoonful on your cold plate, leave to sit for a few seonds and then push finger through the jam, if it wrinkles , it's ready.
- Remove from heat and pour into sterilised jam jars. The jam will set as it cools.
Makes 2 x 400g jars of jam
Don't do what I did and have the bright idea of popping the sugar in the microwave, until you smell something burning and realise that your plastic bowl has started turning to goop on the base! Hmmmm!