Asparagus, Avocado, Blue Cheese and Beetroot Salad
I am ever hopeful and with an eye to the summer, I am tucking into a lot of salads and imagining the joy of eating them on a picnic blanket with my loved ones. Beside us is an overflowing picnic basket full of homemade goodies and our happy toddler is running barefoot in the grass, singing and laughing.
My latest salad is also my entry into the Al Fresco Holiday's Chef of the Year Competition.
A wee bit background:
Al Fresco Holidays are all about holidays for families who want to enjoy luxury outdoor living without splashing out. Splashing about in the pool, bike rides through beautiful countryside, messing about in boats, building the perfect sandcastle, discovering picturesque local villages, or simply relaxing in the sunshine with a good book whilst the kids are off running around with their new friends. Modern holiday homes with two or three bedrooms, air conditioning, power showers, modern designer kitchens and a decked veranda and enjoy the peaceful natural surroundings.
Their Chef of the Year Competition is calling for foodies to enter their best al fresco style recipe for their chance to win a family holiday. Whether you love picnic treats, or rustling up a feast on the BBQ is more your sort of thing, they want to hear from you.You have until the 31 May 2012 at 5pm to enter.
- 90g mixed salad leaves
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 12 asparagus tips
- 120-150g Blue cheese, I used Claxstone's Smooth Blue, cut into chunks
- 12 baby beets, (pickled or fresh) cut in half
1. Steam or boil the asparagus until tender, then rinse in cold water to refresh. 2. Divide the salad leaves between the bowls. 3. Slice the avocado and then toss in the lemon juice, This will prevent the avocado from browning, but will also add a bit of extra flavour too. 4. Add the asparagus, avocado and baby beets to the bowls, then top with the blue cheese and a drizzle of your favourite salad dressing.
DetailsTotal time: Yield: Serves 4
And a few of my favourite salads:
- Artichoke, Red Pepper & Goats Cheese Salad
- Fig, Beetroot & Feta Salad
- Potato Salad with Rhubarb Balsamic Dressing
- Herbful Pasta Salad with Mushrooms
- Caprese Salad with Chilli and Lime
- Quinoa, Lentil and Bean Salad
Britain's Got Salad. Lisa is fed up with the pitiful salads offered to vegetarians in restaurant and so am I. If you want to add your salad to her linky, just head over there.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post. I was required to post some information about Al Fresco Holidays and Chef of the Year Competition, as well as my recipe.