Creamy Avocado and Goats Cheese Sandwiches
On my 5:2 fast days I've been skipping lunch altogether and just putting in some computer time away from the staff room.
It's funny how much my fast days have changed. I used to have breakfast, then a nibble at lunchtime and soup at night, then it changed to ryvita at lunch and a meal at night and now I have just given up on eating completely during the day, opting for a couple of low cal hot chocolates and lots of water during the day and then a proper hearty meal at night.
I can't tell you why I've gone off them. I can tell you I get scunnered with things quite easily if I have them too often. That's probably what happened, too many cheese and pickle or cheese and beetroot sandwiches and now I can't bear the thought.
So there I was, day off and staring at a loaf of bread.
This sandwich would have to be a bit special if I was going to enjoy it and as far away from a standard cheese and pickle sandwich as possible.
I looked in the fridge and had a think.
Tender baby spinach (although any salad leaf would do), spring onions, avocado, fresh crumbly goats cheese, balsamic glaze and black pepper.
Mmmmmm! I did it!
What's your favourite sandwich filling?
My top 5 sandwiches:
- Falafel, Hummus & Carrot Bagels
- Mushroom, Horseradish and Spinach Sandwiches
- Halloumi and Balsamic Onion Toasties
- Creamy Avocado and Goats Cheese Sandwiches
- Banana and Peanut Butter Sandwiches
Creamy Avocado & Goats Cheese Sandwich
A luxurious, but simple sandwich that's guaranteed to beat the sandwich blues.
- 2 slices wholemeal bread
- a handful of tender baby spinach or other salad leaves
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 small ripe avocado, sliced and tossed in a little lemon juice
- 30-50g goats cheese
- a drizzle of balsamic glaze
- a good grinding of black pepper
1. I didn't spread my bread with butter, but you can if you want to.2. Top the first slice with spinach leaves and spring onions.3. Next add the avocado slices.4. Crumble on the goats cheese.4. Drizzle some balsamic glaze over the top of your filling and season with black pepper.5. Top with the other slice of bread, cut in half and enjoy!
Yield: Makes 1 sandwich