National Vegetarian Week - Day 5
PIZZA. We all love it. Sometimes when you have a takeaway pizza, it can be really really bad, but good pizza, nay good homemade pizza is simplicity in itself and mouth-wateringly tasty.
There is such a variety of bases, sauces and toppings to add, it never needs to be the same twice.
This Mediterranean Pizza is my ultimate pizza. I could happily eat it again and again. In fact my mouth is watering just thinking about it.
I made it this week with wholemeal and onion pizza dough, but you could use my standard white pizza dough.
I topped it with my whizz bang pizza sauce, which is whizzed up in a flash and tastes fabulous, then I added fresh milky mozzarella and all my favourite pizza toppings, then I popped it in the oven until it was crisp and golden.
Before I served it I added a heap of fresh rocket and drizzled the pizza with chilli oil.
To make your own chilli oil, fill an oil drizzler with olive oil and chilli flakes. Over time the chilli will impart flavour and a kick into the oil. It's great for drizzling over pasta and salads as well as pizza.
Mediterranean Pizza with Goats Cheese and Rocket
Homemade pizza with all the flavours of the Mediterranean on freshly baked pizza dough and homemade pizza sauce. Well worth a bit off effort. The pizza dough and sauce can be made in advance and frozen.
- 1 portion fresh pizza dough
- 1 portion pizza sauce
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella cheese
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 sundried tomatoes, sliced
- ½ - 1 roasted red pepper
- a generous slice of goats cheese, crumbled
- a handful of fresh basil leaves, torn
- ½ tsp dried coriander
- a good grinding of black pepper
- a handful of fresh rocket leaves
- a drizzle of chilli oil (optional)
- a dusting of flour for rolling
- a dusting of polenta (or flour)
1. Heat oven to 240C/fan 220C /gas 8.2. Scatter some polenta over your baking sheet or pizza pan, to prevent the pizza from sticking. 3. Lightly dust your worktop and roll out a ball of dough until it is thin and even. The size of a dinner plate.4. Place your pizza base on the baking sheet and spoon over some pizza sauce and spread it evenly with the back of a spoon.5. Slice the mozzarella thinly and distribute across the pizza6. Top the pizza evenly with mushroom, pepper, sundried tomatoes, cherry tomatoes and basil.7. Crumble the goats cheese over the pizza and then sprinkle on some oregano and a good grinding of black pepper.8. Bake in the over for 8-12 minutes. I like mine a little overdone, but take it out when it is right for you.9. Serve topped with a fresh rocket and a drizzle of chill oil.
Yield: Make 1 thin and crispy 12 inch pizza
Veggie Recipe of the Day
from Delicious Everyday