Bonfire night is such fun isn't it? We're really looking forward to it, although I don't think the weather will be on our side this year.
It's not as cold as it usually is for Guy Fawkes night, but we've had a lot of fog this week and it's wet today, so it's not looking good. No matter what the weather, we have to go to our local firework display or Cooper will be so disappointed.
Snacks and drinks are an essential part of the evening. We'll be short of time, so we'll just have something quick and light before we head out togged up in lots of layers, hats, scarves and gloves, but we'll take hot drinks in flasks and something yummy to snack on.
This glorious Autumnal cake comes from Rachel's Yogurt. The flavours of fresh apple and spices are complemented by the addition of Rachel’s Limited Edition Apple & Cinnamon Yogurt. You could use plain yogurt, but this one just adds to the flavour and you have enough left over to serve with the cake or to eat with a spoon later.
Apple and Cinnamon Cake
An easy spiced apple cake. Perfect with a cuppa on the cold days of Autumn and Winter. Made with yoghurt and love.
- 3 apples
- 115g unsalted butter, softened
- 250g caster sugar (plus 1 tbsp for sprinkling)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract `
- 250g plain flour, sieved
- 2 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (plus extra for sprinkling)
- 125g Rachel’s Limited Edition Apple & Cinnamon Yogurt
1. Preheat the oven to 170◦C/350◦F/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line an 8 inch round loose bottom or spring-form cake tin2. Begin by peeling and coring one apple, quarter and chop into rough pieces. Take the other two and leaving the skin on cut into quarters and then into thin slices, taking out the core. Set aside for a moment.3. Cream together the butter, sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one by one and then add the vanilla extract. 4. Add the flour, baking powder, salt and ground cinnamon, stir well until these are all incorporated. Add the reserved apple pieces and the yogurt and give the mixture a good stir.5. Pour into the prepared tin and smooth the top making sure it is level. Arrange the apple slices on top of the cake in a circular pattern.6. Combine 1tbsp of caster sugar and 1tsp of ground cinnamon and sprinkle this over the top of the apple slices.7. Bake for 50 mins/ 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.8. Allow to cool in the tin before removing and transferring to a wire rack.9. Enjoy!
Yield: Makes 1 large cake