I'm always happy to take up a challenge, in fact some of my best ideas come from them. So when e-on energy sent me a hamper of goodies and challenged me to come up with a family meal cooked in the shortest possible time to save energy. I got my thinking hat on.
I could tell you I thought long and hard, but that would be a lie. As soon as I saw the mushrooms, avocados and goats cheese, I knew exactly what I wanted to make.
I love mushrooms and will eat them at the drop of a hat. They are great for quick family meals, such as:
- sauteed mushrooms on tops with lots of black pepper
- a full Scottish veggie breakfast - mushrooms, beans, tattie scones, fried egg, grilled tomato and toast
- rich mushroom soup with crusty bread
- carrot, courgette and peanut butter stuffed mushrooms with steamed veg
- rich mushroom and neep pie
- creamy mushroom and herb spaghetti (vegan)
- mushroom and quinoa salad
- Mushroom, Spinach and Feta Quiche with a green salad
For the challenge, I stuffed mushrooms with wilted spinach, chopped cashew nuts, sliced avocado and goats cheese and baked them. They were fabulous. Succulent, and creamy, with a crunch from the nuts. Mmmmmmm!
Do you have a quick family dish to share? If you do, head over to e-on's facebook page where they are hosting a recipe competition. The winner wins a Le Creuset set (my favourite pans) and three runners up win a £50 gift voucher for John Lewis. You have until 14 August 2013.
Avocado and Goats Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
Succulent mushrooms, seasoned with black pepper and baked with a filling of wilted spinach, avocado and goats cheese with a crunch from roughly chopped cashew nuts.
- 4 large flat mushrooms
- 125g spinach
- 2 avocados
- a good handful of cashews, roughly chopped
- 60g goats cheese
- a good grinding of black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 230c / 210c fan / 450f / gas mark 8. 2. Peel the mushrooms, season with black pepper and set aside.2. Wilt the spinach. Rinse it in a colander, then pour a kettleful of boiling water over it to wilt it. Finish with cold water to cool it, then squeeze as much water out as possible, then chop and spread over the mushrooms.4. Sprinkle some nuts over each mushroom, then top with slices of avocado and some goats cheese. Season with pepper and bake for 15 minutes until the mushroom is cooked.5. Serve with a green salad or vegetables.6. Enjoy!
Yield: 4 stuffed mushrooms
Disclosure: e-on sent me a hamper of goodies, so I could make my dish, I was not required to write a positive review and any opinions expressed are my own.