5:2 Diet - Pepper and Rocket (Arugula) Pizza = 269 calories
Up to now my low calorie pizza experience on a 5:2 Diet fast day has involved sharing a thin Lidl Margherita Pizza with Cooper, which is about 330 cals. I usually add mushroom, onion and a little tomato to my half and sweetcorn to Cooper's half. It's tasty and satisfying, but I thought it was time I looked for other options.
Recipes for Warburtons Pizzas or Wizzas as they are sometimes called are sweeping the internet as people search for low calorie recipes.
Warburtons recently sent me a hamper of goodies and while we are all in love with their teacakes in this house, and can wolf them down at an astonishing speed when they are toasted and dripping in butter (or dairy free spread for Graham), it was the new square wraps I was really interested in.
The square wraps come in white, brown, seeded & half and half.
The wraps are 187s calories each and they are suitable for vegetarians.
There is no egg or dairy in these wraps, so they are vegan, but they're made in a factory where milk is used, so it depends on how strict a vegan is. Graham is happy to eat these because they contain no dairy or eggs.
I used these as the base for my pizzas.
I topped my 5:2 fast day pizza with tomato puree, light laughing cow triangles, which have less calories than mozzarella, roast pepper and rocket. I finished off the pizza with dried oregano and black pepper.
I used tomato puree for quickness, it contained 14 calories per tbsp, but if you want a more luxurious sauce, try my recipe for Homemade Pizza Sauce.
There's enough sauce in my recipe for 12 pizzas, but you can freeze the rest in portions until you need it. Just take it out in the morning of your fast and pop it into the fridge until you need it. One portion of my sauce comes in at 21 calories. A little more, but a superior flavour,
A quick note on the peppers I use. Since reviewing Cooks & Co Roasted Red Peppers last year, I have remained faithful to the brand and only buy their peppers.
The peppers are stored in a mixture of water and red wine vinegar, which is much more pleasant than oil and lower in calories too. 100g of their succulent red peppers = 23 calories.
I loved my 5:2 Pepper and Rocket Pizza (Wizza). They are going to become a regular feature on my fast days.
I hope you enjoy them too!
Low Calorie Red Pepper & Rocket (Arugula) Pizza
This tasty pizza is quick to make and comes in at only 269 calories. Great if you want a treat, but are watching your weight.
- 1 Warburtons square brown wrap
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 light Laughing Cow triangles
- ½ large roasted red pepper
- a few rocket (arugula) leaves
- a good sprinkle of dried oregano
- a good grinding of black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 230c/210c fan/450f/gas mark 8.2. Spread the tomato puree evenly over the wrap.3. Slice the laughing cow triangles and scatter over the pizza.4. Slice the peppers and add to the pizza, then add some rocket (arugula).5. Finish off with a good sprinkle of oregano and some black pepper.6. Bake for a few minutes until the pizza is crisp and golden.7. Enjoy!
Yield: 1 pizza
Red Pepper and Rocket Pizza
- 1 Warburtons brown square wrap = 187 calories
- 1 tbsp tomato puree = 14 calories
- ½ of 1 large roasted red pepper (in water & vinegar, not oil) = 16 calories
- 2 light laughing cow triangles = 50 calories
- a few rocket leaves = 2 calories
Disclosure: I was sent some Warburtons Products to review. I was not required to write a positive review and any opinions expressed are my own. I bought the Cooks&Co Red Peppers myself and did not receive payment or products from them.